2) Background set-up in SIP Manager
2.1) Creating a Call Recording Container
2.2) Setting Up Call Recording on a Jola Teams Direct Routing
2.3)Setting Up Call Recording on Jola SIP channels
2.4) Creating a Call Recording Platform User
3) Navigating the Jola Call Recording Platform
The Jola Call Recording platform is a call recording solution for PSTN calls using either Jola Teams Direct Routing or Jola SIP channels.
The retention period of the call recordings is flexible and can be extended up to a period of 7 years.
Recordings in a 1 month call container are completely free of charge. Containers with longer retention periods are charged at a highly competitive flat rate (see price list for more details).
The Jola Call Recording platform is a secure, self-serve solution that gives customers access and full control over their own call recordings.
2) Background set-up in SIP Manager
Creating a Call Recording Container
To use Call Recording platform, you first need to create a container that will store your call recordings for a chosen Teams tenant or SIP Trunk.
Go to Call Recording -> Create Container section on the menu on the left <see below>
Enter a name for your container and choose the Retention Period from the drop-down list. You can choose a period from 30 days up to 7 years. Click on the green ‘Create’ button to save your container <see below>
Once Container is saved it will transfer you to ‘Manage Containers’ section that gives you the list of all containers you have created. This section enables you view and manage container(s) (i.e. change retention period, name of the container, etc.). In order to view details or make any changes on the container, click on the green ‘Details’ button <see below>
The Details sections shows container’s usage overview, i.e., total storage and duration retained, storage and duration retained in the current month, etc. In order to change retention period or the name of the container, click ‘Edit’ button <see below>
After making appropriate changes, click on the green ‘Update’ button <see below>
2) Setting Up Call Recording on Jola Teams Direct Routing
After creating a container, you will need to enable it on your Teams tenant or SIP Trunk. In order to enable it on Teams tenant follow these steps:
Go to the Teams -> Manage Tenant section on the left menu and choose the tenant to which you want to assign the container to by clicking the ‘Details’ button on the right <see below>
Click on the ‘Call Recording’ tab and tick the ‘Call Recording Enabled’ box <see below>
After ticking the box, you will be able to choose the container you want to assign to the tenant. Click ‘Save’ button and since that moment all tenant’s Teams PSTN calls will be recorded on the Jola Call Recording Platform.
3) Setting Up Call Recording on Jola SIP channels
After creating a container, you will need to enable it on your Teams tenant or SIP Trunk. In order to enable it on SIP Trunk follow these steps:
Go to the SIP Channel -> Manage section on the left menu and choose the trunk to which you want to assign the container to by clicking the ‘Details’ button on the right <see below>
Click on the ‘Configuration’ tab and then go to ‘Call Recording’ section. Tick ‘Call Recording Enabled’ box and then choose the container you want to assign to the trunk. Click ‘Save’ button and since that moment all trunk’s PSTN calls will be recorded on the Jola Call Recording Platform <see below>
4) Creating a Call Recording Platform User
After your container is allocated to Teams Tenant or SIP Trunk you can add users that will have access to the Jola Call Recording Platform. In order to do so follow the steps:
Go to Call Recording -> Create User section on the menu on the left. Enter the email of user you want to add and the role you want to grant them.
There are two roles available:
User – Can view and download all call recordings
Data Controller – Can view, download and archive all call recordings
NB – ALL Users with access to the call container have access to ALL call recordings in the container (with the exception of any calls that have been archived). See ‘Navigating the Jola Call Recording platform’ later in this guide for more details.
After choosing the role, click on the green ‘Create’ button <see below>
The username and password will be presented. Save the details somewhere safe as this is the only time the password is shown. If you need to reset the password, you must go to the Call Recording Platform site to reset it (https://callrecording.sipmanager.co.uk/).
In order to assign the user to appropriate container click on the ‘Allocate Container’ button <see below>
In the ‘Containers’ tab you can select container(s) you want to assign the user. You can assign more than one container to each user. To do so tick appropriate container box and click ‘Save’ button <see below>
3) Navigating the Jola Call Recording platform
In order to listen to or download calls / view the details of the call recordings:
The Call Recording container(s) you have access to are available in the ‘Recording Containers’ section. To access a container, click on the ‘View’ button on the right <see below>
You will then see an overview of each container including information on the overall calls recorded (the retained duration of the calls and the storage space this represents) as well as the total duration of all calls recorded in the current month.
To listen to a call and/or view the details of a call, click on the ‘Details’ button on the right <see below>
To retrieve a call recording click on the yellow “Request Audio File” button <see below>
You are able to download the recording by clicking on three dots next to the sound button and then “Download” button <see 2 screenshots below>
If you click on “Audit Log” tab, you will be able to view the detail of all the requests that have ever been made to access the Audio File <see below>
A user allocated with Data Controller access can unarchive the call by clicking ‘Unarchive Call’ button at the top. If you are a user without Data controller access, then you will get an information who to contact if unarchiving the call is needed <see below>
Anytime the call is archived or unarchived the information is saved and log is being created in the Audit Log tab <see below>
4) Frequently Asked Questions
- Each User that has been given access to a call recording container has access to ALL calls recorded within the container. Is it possible to create Users with different permissions?
No, this is a network-based call recording solution, and this is not available.
The Customer must choose carefully which individuals should be set-up as Users with access to the calls container.
NB – Please see also see FAQ ‘Can Individual call recordings be archived’ below.
- What is the price for call recording?
1 month retention period is completely free of charge.
Containers that have longer retention periods than 30 days are charged at the rate £0.0012 per minute / per month.
NB – The first 30 days are also chargeable on any containers with retention periods greater than 30 days.
- What are the retention period options?
The retention period is flexible from 1 month up to 7 years.
The single calendar month retention period means that:
- If a recording is made on the 15th of the month (e.g. 15th September), and the minimum retention period (1 month) is selected, the recording will be available until the 15th of the next month (i.e. 15th October).
- If a call is being recorded on 31st of the month and the next month contains only 30 or 28 days, then the recording will remain on the platform until the last day of the next month i.e. the 30th/28th.
- Is the call recording solution PCI compliant?
The Jola Call Recording platform does have features such as the Audit Log, Unique Call ID and Fingerprint which all contribute to a secure, robust call recording solution.
When card details are being shared on a call, PCI compliance requires recording of the call to be paused or automatically redacted. The Jola Call Recording solution does not offer this functionality.
- Is the call recording solution MiFID2 compliant?
MiFID2 has the following requirements:
- Document: Record all calls which will/may result in transactions.
- All Jola SIP users will have all calls recorded when call recording is enabled.
- Teams users will have all calls recorded except those to/from other Teams users. Early next year we will be launching Teams2Teams call recording which will tick this box.
- Notify: Notify the customer that the conversation is being recorded.
This is up to the Customer to ensure this happens
- Store: Store all communications for a minimum of 5 years (with option of 7 year recording).
Our Call recording platform ticks this box if the customer selects a container that is 5 year (or 7 year retention). If they select 5 they can, in life, extend to 7 years.
- Retrieve upon request: Reproduce quickly and easily all communications leading up to a specific transaction or in a given time period.
Users can use various search criteria to find calls they are interested in
- Tamper proof Recording
We have the ‘fingerprint’ which proves a call has not been altered.
- Audit log of recording access
Every time someone accesses a call this is recorded (the user and IP address)
- What is the call Fingerprint?
It is a ‘hash’ of the original file, a way of checking to make sure that the original recording has not been altered at all.
- Where are the calls stored?
The recordings are stored in encrypted containers, secured in AWS S3 or Azure Blob Storage in the UK and Ireland.
The recordings are not passed onto or processed by third parties (excluding the cloud provider used for storage).
Data sovereignty is possible upon request but there are price implications. If there is a requirement for data sovereignty i.e. storage to be exclusively in the UK (or another country), please speak to your Jola AM.
- If calls are forwarded out of MS Teams, is the call still recorded?
Yes, any call that is carried via the Jola Direct Routing solution will be recorded. Whether or not the parties involved in the call are actually MS Teams users or not.
- If the customer is using the ‘Force Caller ID’ feature in Teams Direct Routing, what impact will this have on call recording?
‘Force Caller ID’ means a single number is presented on all outbound calls for all users. In the Jola Call Recording platform this means that the source number for outbound calls is the same for all users and the only way of identifying the user is by listening to the call recording.
- Can individual call recordings be archived?
Yes, ‘Data Controller’ access users are able to archive calls.
Calls that are archived are visible on the portal, but inaccessible, for a 30 calendar day cooling off period.
On the completion of the 30 day cooling off period, the archived call recording will be removed from the platform and will no longer be visible within the call recording platform. The call recording will not be retrievable and will no longer be subject to charges.
If you want to unarchive the call recording during the cooling off period, the Data Controller needs to send a request to email@example.com with full details of the call:
- Requests received up to the 28th day within the 30 days cooling off period will be actioned within a 48 hours SLA.
- Requests received after the 28th day of archive will be a “best efforts response” and Jola will not be held responsible for the automatic archiving of call recordings.
Jola is not responsible for any request to archive or remove call recordings from the platform made by a User allocated with Data Controller access by the Jola Partner.
- If a call has been archived but is due to be deleted within the 30 day cooling off period (because of the container retention period), the retention period will take precedence i.e. the call recording will be removed on this date, not at the end of the 30 day cooling off period.
- Is it possible to change a Container’s retention period?
It is possible to increase as well as decrease retention period at any time.
- If the retention period is being increased:
All the existing recordings as well as new recordings will be a subject to the new time period for the container
- If the retention period is being decreased:
All the existing recordings will be subject to the original timescale allocated to the container, while new recordings will be subject to the new specified timescale.
If you wish to change your retention period, please contact your Jola Account Manager.
Regardless of retention changes, Individual recordings can still be archived by a Data Controller.
- Is Teams to Teams call recording available?
The current call recording proposition is for PSTN calls only (both Teams Direct Routing and Jola SIP).
Teams to Teams call recording is not yet available but is likely to be released in Q1 2021. All partners will be notified about the launch of Teams to Teams call recording via email.